Sunday, October 18, 2009

Keeping up with the Greasies

From one matte to another, today’s topic is mattifying oily skin. I am convinced that I have the world’s oiliest skin. There are three items that I absolutely cannot live without:

Primer: I’ve used a few different primers, and the two that I can truly recommend for their mattifying properties are Smashbox Photo Finish and Rimmel Fix and Perfect. The Rimmel primer has a scary looking tint to it which doesn’t completely vanish into my skin, but cannot be seen under my mineral foundation (strange).

The Rimmel primer does help my makeup stay perfect, similar to the Smashbox primer which is about 5 times the price - at Ulta.com, Rimmel Fix and Perfect is 1 oz for $7.59 vs. Smashbox Photo Finish, 1 oz for $36.00. I usually use my Rimmel daily and Smashbox primer for special occasions. I do like how the Smashbox primer feels on my skin better than the Rimmel – it feels kind of cool and smooth while the Rimmel feels more like a liquid foundation. On the plus side, neither primer made me break out, a major accomplishment for any cosmetics company.

Here’s a cheap-o tip: if you are only going to be using the Smashbox primer once in a while, go for the travel size, which, at .5 oz for $16.00 at Ulta.com, is actually cheaper per ounce than the full sized tube. It doesn’t come with the handy pump dispenser, but it’s infinitely more portable and a good way to test the product out before committing to the full sized product. Here’s a link to the product.

I don’t recommend Ulta’s Foundation Primer, which I can’t even find on their website anymore (hopefully they stopped making it). It left me feeling greasy from the get-go.

Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder has become a holy grail item for me. Even with primer, I used to be greasy by mid-afternoon in my mineral foundation, but not anymore! There are several problems with this powder though, and the most important one is the lack of color choices. Rimmel’s website says it comes in three shades, ranging from what looks like light to slightly lighter. Not good.

Another huge problem is the packaging. The point of pressed powder is portability. Unfortunately, Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder comes in a package that doesn’t snap closed, the lid just sort of sits on top.

No doubt about it, this powder if flawed, but I get a fabulous matte finish that lasts most of the day when I use it. It also has not made me break out. If you decide to try this powder, check your Sunday papers for Rimmel coupons. And a lot of drugstores have buy one get one free or buy one get one half off sales that you can combine with your coupon for a pretty sweet deal.

Blotting sheets: These have always been a staple to me, but they range in price from 5 to 10 dollars for tiny sheets of thin paper. That’s screwed up. A cheap alternative is to use toilet paper...just rip a sheet off and blot. Just because you can’t see greasy stains accumulating on the paper doesn’t mean it isn’t working! I know that a lot of people know this tip, but honestly, when I was in college I saw several girls using those blotting sheets. (sigh)

Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets: $5.19. philosophy the supernatural oil control blotting tissues: $10.00. Something you already have in your bathroom and can get for free at work or a public restroom: Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment